Friday, May 19, 2006

 

self-help: Self-help method gets results

Seeing that May is Mental Health Month, I would like to take this opportunity to reach people who suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, sleeplessness, fears, depression or other assorted symptoms. There is help out there, and it's free.

Recovery Inc. has been in existence for close to 70 years. There are over 600 meetings in the U.S., Canada and other countries.

The program was founded and developed by Dr. Abraham A. Low, associate professor of psychiatry, after 15 years of research, study and treatment of patients. The self-help method is based on Dr. Low's book, Mental Health Through Will Training.

The Recovery method follows a structured framework designed to help people reduce their nervous symptoms and increase their ability to cope with daily challenges.

Recovery is not a substitute for professional care, but an adjunct to it.

The American Psychiatric Association honored the organization for "the extaordinary contribution Recovery Inc. is making to the field of psychiatric rehabilitation."

Pesonally, the Recovery method gave me back my life. I suffered from heart palpitations, chest and head pressure -- I called it pain then -- and I was sure I was dying every minute.

I was dizzy, nauseated and felt fatigued even after sleeping for hours. I felt useless and hopeless. I couldn't work because I would have panic attacks. I couldn't drive for the same reason.

But after a few months of learning and then practicing the Recovery method, I began to start living a normal life.

For some time now I have moderated a weekly Recovery group in Deerfield Beach. Visit us, or visit our Web site.

David Shapiro resides in Coconut Creek.